Ben Was Assimilated is a grid based hack n slash where things only move when you move, so moving and attacking turns into a puzzle.
Features around half an hour of gameplay with no need for level grinding and instant respawn on death.
There’s also a randomiser which randomises all weapons and equipment and a perm-death mode for masochists.
I worked on this for about two weeks and did coding, music and sounds.
The source code is available on Github.
- Richard Kerry – Additional music and moral support
- Ben Fearn – Concept design help and moral support
- Kenney.nl – graphics (link to asset pack)
Derbyshire dialect features prominently through the game. I based a lot of the dialogue on someone I know, but also used a couple of pages for ideas:
I found some really nice tools by Cedric Stoquer whilst making this game which I used for making sounds and music:
- Bleeper (sounds) https://pixwlk.itch.io/bleeper
- Pata Tracker (chiptunes) https://pixwlk.itch.io/pata-tracker